I thought I would mix things up today and spend a little time sharing a few of my favourite local SMALL businesses.
It's important to support small businesses in your community, and with the holiday season quickly approaching, I thought I would share some businesses and give everyone a nice little guide for gift ideas!
If you do live in Durham Region or surrounding areas, some of these businesses will actually be at a craft show this coming Saturday November 22nd 2014. The entrance and parking for the show is free and there will be fun activities for the kiddos!
Now let's get started with that list!
1. Athena's Diaper Cakes : Don't be fooled by the name! This creative lady does not limit herself to diaper cakes. Although diaper cakes are quite a unique item to bring as a gift to baby showers, she sells a variety of other products including but not limited to: baby and adult headbands, hair bows, unique winter hats, hair clip holders, bottle cap necklaces, and other creative baby gift ideas! She also does custom diaper cakes if you are looking for a particular theme. You can visit her Facebook page by searching "Athena's Diaper Cakes" and check out some awesome photos of her work below!
2. Jenna's Cakes: A talented lady who makes stunning fondant covered cookies, cakes, cupcakes and cake pops! She is present at some local bazaars and also accepts custom orders!
You can find her on Facebook by searching "Jenna's Cakes" or by clicking the link below!
I've chosen some of my favourite pictures of her work to showcase:
3. Horses on Simcoe: Although this isn't a "homemade" item, it falls under my list of "favourite local services". Horses on Simcoe is a local horse riding school, lessons taught by Joe MacKay. He focuses on teaching his students horsemanship skills, proper grooming techniques and learning how to build a healthy relationship with your horse, before you get in the saddle. Gift certificates are available! Would make a great gift for the horse-lover on your list, or for those wishing to try out riding lessons! You can find his Facebook page by searching "Horses on Simcoe" or by using the link below:
4. Quilter's Connection Magazine: Need a gift idea for a quilter on your list? How about a subscription to a CANADIAN quilting magazine!
I realize this isn't a "homemade" item, but it is still important to support Canadian magazines, especially when the American ones are so popular already. Heather creates an excellent magazine filled with interesting articles and projects!
5. Paper Kreations by Jackie: A small business operated by a very talented woman with expertise in paper crafting! Homemade cards? check! Cute ready-to-fill scrapbooks? check! Custom invitations? check check check! Below are some awesome photos of her work! Check her out on Facebook too to find out what shows she will be participating in next!
6. Stuttering John's Smokehouse: Local restaurant that also provides catering services! A variety of delicious foods to try out on their menu! A great place to meet up with friends for a holiday get-together to try something new! A cozy atmosphere, excellent service and delicious food...what more could you ask for? Located on Highway 2 in Courtice!
7. More Than Materials: A lovely local business that creates a variety of home decor items! Perfect for Christmas gifts or for adding to your own collection of Christmas decorations. Here are a few of my favourite things from their Facebook page!
8. Coeur De L'Hiver: I hear people raving all the time about how wonderful and cozy her mittens are! Check out her facebook page to find out where she will be next, so you can purchase a pair for yourself! Going to a holiday party? Her handmade soy wax candles would also make excellent hostess gift!
9. The Pink Squirrel: A variety of creative and unique gift ideas! Including earrings, coasters, necklaces and more! She is present at several shows year-round! Follow her on Facebook to see where she will be next!
10. Lastly, I'd like to spread the word about a couple independent consultants that I know of! I'd like to specifically mention Jennifer's Pampered Kitchen (The Pampered Chef). If you are interested in hosting a party or taking part in any of the special events, please visit her Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/ChefLabaj?fref=ts
Second, for the beauty lover on your list, Jamberry Nails make great products. To see more designs of nail wraps or for information on hosting a party, please visit her Facebook page.
These are a few of my favourite wraps!
I know there are many many more wonderful small businesses growing out there. If you have a few favourites please feel free to leave links to their websites or Facebook pages in the comments below! Please remember to shop local this holiday season and share this blog post so others can read it too!
Happy Shopping! ;)