Saturday, July 14, 2012

Basket Weave Quilting

While recently the guest artist at the PEC Quilt Show, in Wellington ON, I had the opportunity to sit in on a demonstration presented by the President of their guild.
She demonstrated a technique called the Basket Weave, I`ve recently taken the technique and used it to create a small table mat.

The greater number of squares that you use, the more you will notice the basket weave design. It is recommended that your squares all be of the same print, or at least all shades within an identical colour or pattern.



I cut my main fabric into 5 inch strips, and my dark brown sashing I cut into 1 inch strips.
I sewed a sashing strip onto either side of my 5 inch strip, after they are sewn on, press the seams towards your darkest fabric.

Measure the new width of your strip, mine was 5 & 6/8"
Use this new size, to cut as many squares as possible from your strip of fabric.

To make my table mat I used 8 squares.

Lay your squares out, so that your sashing directions alternate, which forms the basket weave design.

Once your centre is sewn together, I added a 2 inch border of a coordinating colour.

Now you can quilt, back and bind your mat as desired.


*TIP: This technique would work really well in flannels to make a baby quilt.


2 comments:

  1. Great blog, and lovely work! Laine from CQA gave me your blog address, I am on the Board with her.. I am going to sign up to follow=)

    ReplyDelete